The Policy applies to all career college students of A1 Transportation Academy.
1. The Scope
A1 Transportation Academy has adopted this Sexual Violence Policy, which defines sexual violence and outlines its training, reporting, investigative and disciplinary responses to complaints of sexual violence made by its students or any other faculty or administrative staff members that have occurred on its campus, or at one of its events and involve its students.
A1 Transportation Academy is committed to providing our students with an educational environment free from sexual violence and treating those students who report incidents of sexual violence with dignity and respect. All students of A1Transportation Academy have a right to study in an environment free of sexual violence. This document sets out our policy on sexual violence involving our students, defines the prohibited behaviors, and outlines our investigative processes for sexual violence.
Students, faculty, and staff of A1 Transportation Academy will take all reasonable steps to prevent sexual violence involving our students on our career college campus or events by reporting immediately to the Campus Manager if any of our students have been subject to, or they have witnessed or have knowledge of sexual violence involving our students, or have reason to believe that sexual violence has occurred or may occur which involves our students.
2. Definition of Sexual Violence
This Policy prohibits sexual violence which means any sexual act or act targeting a person’s sexuality, gender identity or gender expression whether the act is physical or psychological in nature, that is committed, threatened or attempted against a person without the person’s consent, and includes sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking, indecent exposure, voyeurism and sexual exploitation.
3. Training, Reporting and Responding to Sexual Violence
- A1 Transportation Academy shall include a copy of the Sexual Violence Policy in every contract made between it and its students, and provide a copy of the Sexual Violence Policy to career college management (corporate directors, controlling shareholders, owners, partners, other persons who manage or direct the career college’s affairs, and their agents), instructors, staff, other employees and contractors and train them about the policy and its processes of reporting, investigating and responding to complaints of sexual violence involving its students.
- The Sexual Violence Policy shall be published on the college’s website.
- Career college management, instructors, staff, other employees and contractors of A1 Transportation Academy will report incidents of or complaints of sexual violence to Campus Manager upon becoming aware of them.
- Students who have been affected by sexual violence or who need information about support services should contact the Campus Manager.
4. Personal information
Subject to Section 4 below, to the extent it is possible, A1 Transportation Academy will attempt to keep all personal information of persons involved in the investigation confidential except in those circumstances where it believes an individual is at imminent risk of self-harm, or of harming another, or there are reasonable grounds to believe that others on its campus or the broader community are at risk. This will be done by:
- ensuring that all complaints/reports and information gathered as a result of the complaint/reports will be only available to those who need to know for purposes of investigation, implementing safety measures and other circumstances that arise from any given case; and
- Ensuring that the documentation is kept in a separate file from that of the Complainant/student or the Respondent.
- A1 Transportation Academy recognizes the right of the Complainant not to report an incident of or make a complaint about sexual violence or not request an investigation and not to participate in any investigation that may occur.
- Notwithstanding section (C), in certain circumstances, A1 Transportation Academy may be required by law or its internal policies to initiate an internal investigation and/or inform police without the complainant’s consent if it believes the safety of member of its campus or the broader community is at risk.
- In all cases, including section (f) above, A1 Transportation Academy will appropriately accommodate the needs of its students who are affected by sexual violence. Students seeking accommodation should contact the Campus Manager.
- In this regard, A1 Transportation Academy will assist students who have experienced sexual violence in obtaining counselling and medical care, and provide them with information about sexual violence supports and services available in the community and the province of Ontario, as set out in Appendix 1 attached hereto. Students are not required to file a formal complaint in order to access supports and services.
5. Complaint and Investigating Reports of Sexual Violence
The person accused of engaging in sexual violence will be referred to as the ‘Respondent” and the person making the allegation as the “Complainant”. Under this Sexual Violence Policy, any student of A1 Transportation Academy may file a report of an incident or a complaint to the Campus Manager in writing. A complainant may ask another person to be present during the investigation. The College may also decide to use an Independent Investigator when appropriate in the circumstances. Upon a complaint of alleged sexual violence being made A1 Transportation Campus Manager will take all reasonable steps to investigate it, including as follows:
- Upon receipt of a report of an incident or a complaint of alleged sexual violence being made, the College Manager will respond promptly and:
- Determine whether an investigation should proceed and if the Complainant wishes to participate in an investigation;
- Determine who should conduct the investigation having regard to the seriousness of the allegation and the parties involved;
- Determine whether the incident should be referred immediately to the police; In such cases or where civil proceedings are commenced in respect of allegations of sexual violence, A1 Transportation Academy, may conduct its own independent investigation and make its own determination in accordance with its own policies and procedures; and
- Determine what interim measure ought to be put in place pending the investigation process such as removal of the Respondent or seeking alternate methods of providing necessary course studies.
- Meeting with the complainant to determine the date and time of the incident, the persons involved, the names of any person who witnessed the incident and a complete description of what occurred;
- interviewing the complainant, any person involved in the incident and any identified witnesses;
- interviewing any other person who may have knowledge of incidents related to the complaint or any other similar incidents;
- informing the respondent of the complaint, providing details of the allegations and giving the respondent an opportunity to respond to those allegations;
- Providing reasonable updates to the Complainant and the Respondent about the status of the investigation
6. Investigation results
Following the investigation, the Campus Manager or the Independent Investigator will:
- review all of the evidence collected during the investigation;
- determine whether sexual violence occurred; and if so
- determine what disciplinary action, if any, should be taken as set out in Section 7 below
7. Disciplinary Measures
If it is determined by A1 Transportation Academy that the Respondent did engage in sexual violence, immediate disciplinary or corrective action will be taken. This may include:
- Disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment of instructors or staff; or
- Expulsion of a student; and/or
- The placement of certain restrictions on the Respondent’s ability to access certain premises or facilities; and/or
- Any other actions that may be appropriate in the circumstances
In cases where criminal proceedings are initiated, A1 Transportation Academy will assist police agencies, lawyers, insurance companies, and courts to the fullest extent. Where criminal and/or civil proceedings are commenced in respect of allegations of sexual violence A1 Transportation Academy may conduct its own independent investigation and make its own determination in accordance with its own policies and procedures.
Should the Complainant or the Respondent not agree with the decision resulting from the investigation, he or she may appeal the decision to VP of Human Resources within 5 (Five) days by submitting a letter addressed to Campus Manager advising of the person’s intent to appeal the decision. Appeals shall be subject to the Appeal Policy: Sexual Violence.
9. Making False Statements
It is a violation of this Policy for anyone to knowingly make a false complaint of sexual violence or to provide false information about a complaint. Individuals who violate this Policy are subject to disciplinary and / or corrective action, up to and including termination of employment of instructors or staff or expulsion of a student.
It is a violation of this Policy to retaliate or threaten to retaliate against a complainant who has brought forward a complaint of sexual violence, provided information related to a complaint, or otherwise been involved in the complaint investigation process.
This policy will be reviewed 3 years after it is first implemented.
12. Collection of Student Data
A1 Transportation Academy shall collect and be prepared to provide upon request by the Superintendent of Private Career Colleges such data and information as required according to Subsections 32. 3 (8), (9) and (10) of Schedule 5 of the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005 as amended.
Appendix 1: Resources
Canadian Association of Sexual Assault Centers Ontario Assaulted Women’s Helpline
Toll Free: 1-866-863-0511
#SAFE (#7233) on Bell, Rogers, Fido or Telus mobile TTY: 416-364-8762 www.awhl.org
Appendix 1: Resources
Sexual Assault Centers (Ontario) AND SERVICES
Canadian Association of Sexual Assault Centre (ONTARIO)
Assaulted Women’s Help Number Toll Free: 1-866-863-0511
NumberSAFE (Number7233) on Bell, Rogers, Fido or Telus mobile
You Can Contact Other Helping Centers. These Include:
Alliston, Barrie, Collingwood , Midland and Orillia
24 hour Crisis Number:
Barrie: 705-737-2008 or 1-800-987-0799
Midland: 705-526-4211 or 1-800-461-1750
Sexual Assault Centre for Quinte and District
Muskoka/Parry Sound Sexual Assault Services
Parry Sound 1-877-851-6662
Sexual Assault Centre of Brantford
Crisis Number: 519-751-3471
Assault Response & Care Centre
Chatham-Kent Sexual Assault Crisis Centre
24 hr Crisis Number: 519-354-8688
Office /TTY: 519-354-8908
Sexual Assault Support Centre for Women
Iethinisten:ha Women’s Shelter
Akwasasane Family Violence Program
24 hr Crisis Number : 1-800-480-4208
Durham Region (Oshawa, Pickering, Ajax, Whitby,
Uxbridge, Bowmanville, Port Perry )
Durham Rape Crisis Centre
Crisis Number: 905-668-9200
Eganville (Renfrew Country)
Women’s Sexual Assault Centre of Renfrew County
24 Crisis Number: 1-800-663-3060
Guelph-Wellington Women in Crisis
Crisis Number: 519-836-5710
Kenora Sexual Assault Centre
Crisis Numbers : 807-468-7233 OR 1-800-565-6161
Sexual Assault Centre Kingston
Crisis Numbers: 613-544-6424 or 1-877-544-6424
Sexual Assault Support Centre of Waterloo Region
Crisis Number: 519-741-8633
Sexual Assault Centre London
Crisis Number: 519-438-2272
London Abused Women’s Centre
Peel Region (Brampton, Mississauga, Caledon)
Crisis Number: 1-800-810-0180
Women’s Support Network of York Region
Crisis Numbers: 1-800-263-6734 or 905-895-6734
Amelia Rising Women’s Sexual Assault Centre of
Nipissing/centre d’aggressions ssexuelles de Nipissing
Crisis Number: 705-476-3355
Sexual Assault & Violence Intervention Services of Halton
Crisis Numbers: 905-875-1555 or 1-877-268-8416
Family Transition Place
Crisis Number: 1-800-265-9178
Sexual Assault Support Centre
Crisis Number: 613-234-2266
Ottawa Rape Crisis Centre
Peterborough & Kawarthas
Kawartha Sexual Assault Centre
Crisis Numbers: 705-741-0260 or 1-866-298-7778
YWCA Peterborough Haliburton
Crisis Number: 1-800-461-7656
Office: 705-743-3526 ext. 130
Sault Ste. Marie
Women in Crisis (Algoma) Inc.
Crisis Numbers: 705-759-1230 or 1-877-759-1230
Sexual Assault Survivors Centre Sarnia-Lambton
Crisis Numbers: 519-337-3320 or 1-888-231-0536
Niagara Region Sexual Assault Centre
Crisis Number: 905-685-4584
Thunder Bay Sexual Assault and Sexual Abuse Crisis and
Office: 807-345-0894 or 1-866-311-5927
Timmins and Area Women in Crisis
Crisis Number: 1-877-268-8380 (sexual assault)
Oasis Centre des Femmes
Toronto Rape Crisis Centre: Multicultural Women
Crisis Number: 416-597-8808
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or info@trccmwar.
Sexual Assault Crisis Centre of Essex County
Crisis Number: 519-253-9667
Domestic Abuse Services Oxford
Crisis Numbers: 519-539-4811 or 1-800-265-1938